When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This way of serving Absinthe is the traditional way that was used in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. It is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is easy to learn.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. Thujone is essential element for the Absinthe.
– One will need an Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. A person can visit AbsintheKit.com to buy replicas of antiques.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon is famous as a cuillere.
– A cube of sugar.
– Take iced water in an Absinthe fountain or in a carafe.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– Place a cube of sugar on the Absinthe spoon which is resting over the rim of the glass.
– Either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a carafe one can drip iced water over the sugar. When it is drip slowly then the sugar get chance to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. You should see a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. The mixture becomes milky when added with water because the essential oils of the herbs in Absinthe are soluble in alcohol but not in water.
– One can enjoy the Green Fairy or the Absinthe.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Several Absinthe followers scorned the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– Importance of an Absinthe glass
– An Absinthe slotted spoon
– Take a cube of sugar
– A lighter or match is needed
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Take the Absinthe spoon to keep sugar cube on it and rest on the rim of the glass.
– It is necessary to alight the sugar cube for one minute for it’s caramelization and melting. One should carefully drip the sugar from the slots of the spoon into the Absinthe.
– It is necesary to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– This is the way of enjoying Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway is famous about mixing it with champagne and called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
A large number of legends, mysteries and stories are there encircling different aspects of Absinthe. Enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.